- 1 Important Current Affairs For UPSC ESE PRELIM 2020 EXAM
Important Current Affairs For UPSC ESE PRELIM 2020 EXAM
1) NITI Aayog’s Health Index
- The Health Index is a weighted composite Index, which for the larger States, is based on indicators in three domains: (a) Health Outcomes (70%); (b) Governance and Information (12%); and (c) Key Inputs and Processes (18%), with each domain assigned a weight based on its importance.
- Health Index has been developed as a tool to leverage co-operative and competitive federalism to accelerate the pace of achieving health outcomes.
- It would also serve as an instrument for “nudging” States & Union Territories (UTs) and the Central
- Ministries to a much greater focus on output and outcome-based measurement of annual performance than is currently the practice.
- Kerala has emerged as the top-ranking state in terms of overall health performance.
- Uttar Pradesh is the worst when it comes to overall health performance.
- Gujarat, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh stood at fourth, fifth and sixth spots. Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra have emerged as the top ranking states based on historical performance across health indicators.
- Haryana, Rajasthan and Jharkhand top the index based on incremental performance.
- Among the UTs, Chandigarh jumped one spot to top the list with a score of (63.62), followed by Dadra and Nagar Haveli (56.31), Lakshadweep (53.54), Puducherry (49.69), Delhi (49.42), Andaman and Nicobar (45.36) and Daman and Diu (41.66).
2) CLIMATE CHANGE PERFORMANCE INDEX CCPI:
- The 2019 edition of the Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) has been released.
- On the basis of standardised criteria, the index evaluates and compares the climate protection performance of 58 countries that are, together, responsible for more than 90% of global energy- related CO2 emissions. 80% of the evaluation is based on objective indicators of emissions trend and emissions level. 20% of the index results are built upon national and international climate policy assessments by more than 200 experts from the respective countries.
- The Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) is an instrument covering 58 countries and supposed to enhance transparency in international climate politics.
- Its aim is to encourage political and social pressure on those countries which have, up to now, failed to take ambitious actions on climate protection as well as to highlight countries with best-practice climate policies.
3) SURVEY OF INDIA TO DEPLOY 300
DRONES FOR MAPPING COUNTRY.
- Survey of India (SoI), the oldest scientific department of country will for the first time rely on drones to map the country. Survey of India which is India’s National Survey and Mapping Organization is in charge of mapping and surveying entire country.
- Survey of India is affliated to the Department of Science andTechnology (DST).
- To provide good high-resolution foundation maps. Also, High-resolution maps will facilitate digitisation of land titles in villages.
- To map 75% of India’s geography (about 2.4 million sq km of 3.2 million sq km) within next two years.
- To fulfill above objective the organisation aims to procure about 300 drones and so far about 30 have been sourced for the mega exercise.
- As a precursor to undertake such drone-based mapping exercises, Survey of India has signed agreements with districts in Haryana (6), Karnataka (2) and Maharashtra (2).
- Every square kilometre mapped by drones will be encapsulated in 2500 pictures and thus be a store of digital data.
- Currently the best SoI maps have a resolution of 1:250000 (i.e. 1 cm on the map represents 2500 cm on ground), however, new maps under the project will have a 1:500 resolution (i.e. 1 cm on map will represent 500 cm).
4) MISSION SHAKTI
- India tested its first anti-satellite (ASAT) missile as part of ‘Mission Shakti’ against a “live” satellite launched by it a few months earlier.
- An anti-satellite weapon is anything that destroys or physically damages or incapacitates a satellite for strategic military purposes. Only the United States, Russia, China, and now India have demonstrated this capability successfully.
- Mission Shakti is India’s response to the potent case of future weaponization of space, where enemy nation can indulge in space war to disrupt critical infrastructure of the nation.
5) INDIA’S 1ST 3-D SMART TRAFFIC SIGNAL LAUNCHED IN MOHALI.
- Mohali traffic police in Punjab have launched India’s first wireless 3-D Smart Traffic Signal System called Intelights.
- It proposes a Intelligent Traffic Timer Control to regulate traffic signals with smart bird’s eye view using wireless sensor system.
- It uses dynamic signal control technology to adjust timers of red, yellow and green lights according to the traffic density at an intersection.
- It uses existing CCTV cameras to gather live traffic video feed, and automatically evaluates the traffic density using Artificial Intelligence (AI), and sets signal timers accordingly.
- This process is repeated for every cycle of traffic lights to keep traffic flowing smoothly.