UPSC IES 2018 Recruitment, ESE 2018 Notification, Check Exam Dates
- Engineering Services Examination (ESE) 2018, a national level civil services examination conducted by the UPSC to recruit technical/engineering graduates to serve the various departments/organizations of Union Government of India. Nearly three lakh candidates apply for the competitive test each year. Out of these candidates, around 500 candidates are recommended to fill up the vacant posts.
- The UPSC will release official notification on 27 September 2017 for Engineering Services (Preliminary) Examination, 2018. The exam for the same will be conducted on 07 January 2018 (Sunday).
- As per the UPSC examination calendar 2018, the online application window will commence from 27 September 2017. The last date for submission of application is 23 October 2017. ESE Preliminary Exam will be held on 7 January 2018. The ESE Main Exam will be held on 1 July 2018.
ABOUT UPSC ESE:
- Every year, UPSC conducts an All India level Engineering Service Exam called as IES (Indian Engineering Service). This exam is an entrance examination organised for technical graduates from engineering field to serve the government of India. It consists of various sectors like Power, Railroads, Telecommunications, Public Works, etc. This class -I officer designation job serves the purpose relevant to their branch or the cadre in which they are recruited. The primary position offered to candidates who qualify this exam is Assistant Engineer which upgrades to various positions and then ultimately ends on the Chairman/Assistant Managing Director. This high-level exam has its persona as it is a tough nut to crack
- ESE has three stages of examination: Preliminary; Mains; Interview. Successful candidates in the preliminary exam will then appear for the main examination on 1 July 2018. The qualified candidates in Main exam will appear Personality Test/ Interview.
General Educational Qualification:
- The applicant should possess a degree in Engineering from a recognized University or Institute by the Government of India.
- The candidates who have attained M.sc degree with Electronics, Wireless Communications and Radio Physics as a special subject can apply for certain posts.
Engineering Branches Included for ESE:
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
UPSC IES 2018 Vacancy Details
UPSC provides a huge no. of vacancies for the people who qualify this examination. This exam allows the candidates to work in different sectors of distinct branches. Every particular branch consists of various posts in Group A, Group B etc. Around 500 vacancies are expected inclusive of PH; these jobs are distributed according to merit and preferences.
Name of Exam: Indian Engineering Services
- Organization: Union Public Selection Commission
- Total Number of Vacancy: 500 (Expected)
- Here it can be mentioned that for ESE 2017, the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) recommend a total of 500 candidates for appointment to various Services/Posts in the Ministries/Departments concerned.
- As per the Annual Report 2015-16 of the UPSC , more that 2.5 lakh candidates applied for the examination. As against a total of 92,817 candidates, who had appeared in the written examination, a total number of 1,134 candidates qualified for the Personality Test. A total number of 434 candidates were recommended.
- Hence, out of each 576 candidates only one was able to crack the competitive exam.
- The applicant should be a resident of India or a subject of Nepal or Bhutan. Tibetan Refugees who came to India before 1st Jan 1962 are also eligible to apply.
- Any Indian origin person migrated from countries like Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Burma, and Eastern African Countries with an intention of permanently residing in India are also eligible to apply.
- For all the above-mentioned candidates from neighboring countries should hold an eligibility certificate from Government of India.
- The applicant should possess a degree in Engineering from a recognized University or Institute by the Government of India.
- The candidates who have attained M.sc degree with Electronics, Wireless Communications and Radio Physics as a special subject can apply for certain post
- The aspirant who wants to apply for IES 2018 Exam should lie in the age group of 21-30 years on 1st August of 2018 or the year of examination. Relaxation in age will be provided to reserved categories as per government norms.
- Government servants will be given a 5-year relaxation in upper age limit.
- For SC/ST 5 years relaxation will be provided
- For OBC 3 years relaxation will be provided
- The candidate who is found to be a subject of Jammu Kashmir during the period from 1st January 1980 to 31st December 1989 will also be provided with an age relaxation of 5 years.
- Ex-Serviceman will be offered an age relaxation of 5 years
- Physically Handicapped and disabled will be given an age relaxation of 10 years.
- The application procedure is quite similar as of other forms. The candidate has to visit the official website to apply for IES exam 2018. Before filling the form go through all the details carefully to avoid a mistake.
- Students have to complete Part 1 registration followed by Part II. Write In all the important data then upload documents, photograph, signature followed by fee payment. And at last, submit the form and keep registration number or application number with you for future reference. Candidates will have to Fill UPSC IES Application Form 2018on or before the last date that is 23rd October 2017.
How to Apply for IES / ESE 2018 Exam?
- Visit the official website i.e. upsconline.nic.in
- Click on the link “Apply Online”
- Completed the First part of Registration by filling all the asked information like Name, Address, Age, DOB, Educational Qualification Phone number etc.
- After filling all the given details go through all the details and check it properly in order to avoid mistakes.
- Now fill in all the left information in second part of registration.
- In this part first you have to make the online payment of application fees through any online payment mode.
- You have to upload a scanned copy of your photograph and signature.
- Finally, agree to the declaration and submit the form
- Take out a hard copy of your application form and note down the necessary details for future reference
While filling the UPSC ESE 2018 Application Form, the application Fee payment can be done through any online mode like Debit Card, Credit Card, Net Banking, Pay-in-Slip, etc. from a State Bank of India which is a recognised bank by the government of India. The Reserved Category students like SC/ST/PH and Female candidates are exempted from fee payment. While other candidates belonging to Gen/OBC have to pay Rs. 200 as application fee. No money will be refunded in case of any mishappening during the transaction.
Check Syllabus of all branches
- IES 2018 Notification: September 27, 2017
- IES 2018 Commencement of Application Procedure : September 27, 2017
- Last date of applying online for IES 2018: October 23, 2017
- IES 2018 Prelims : January 01, 2018
- IES 2018 Mains Exam date : July 01, 2018
- IES 2018 Personal Interview: First week of November 2018 onwards.
IES 2018 Eligibility
UPSC has segregated various eligibility categories that a candidate needs to fulfill before applying for IES. The eligibility is defined by the following standards:
- Nationality – Candidates must be a resident of India, Nepal, Bhutan or a Tibetan refugee.
- Age Limit – Age limit for IES 2018 is between 21-30 years of age.
- Academic Qualification – Candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree in the field of engineering from a recognized University.
- Physical Standards – Candidates must be physically fit according to physical standards defined by the authorities for admission to Engineering Services Examination.
IES 2018 Application Form
- IES Application Form filling process is completely online.
- Candidates are required to visit the official website of UPSC to apply for IES 2018.
- Candidates can start filling in IES Application Form from September 27, 2017.
- The registration for IES 2018 is done in two parts – Registration Part I and Registration Part II.
Registration Part I
- The next step of registration process i.e. Application Fee payment.
Payment of Application Fee
- The application fee can be remitted via online as well as offline mode.
- Candidate will be redirected to a new page where he/she will have to choose the mode of payment.
- If candidate chooses to pay online, facilities like credit card/debit card or net banking will be available.
- In case of offline mode of payment, a pay-in-slip shall be provided for cash payment at the nearest branch of State Bank of India.
- Fill in your exam center choices along with engineering core branch once you have successfully paid your application fee.
- Candidates will have to communicate other details as well before moving to the next step.
Upload required documents
- Submit all the required information and move on to upload your scanned copy of passport size photograph and clearly visible signatures in the given dimensions.
- Check mark the declaration to complete IES Registration.
IES 2018 Admit Card
- IES admit card for both the written papers is released separately.
- Candidates must take note that the admit card is released 3 weeks before the commencement of the exam.
- IES admit card 2018 can be obtained from the official website of UPSC by entering the required details.
Must read : UPSC declares Engineering Services (Main) Examination 2017 Final Results and recommends 500 candidates for appointment
Following are the steps to download IES Admit Card:
- Go to the official website of UPSC
- Click on the link to download IES admit card
- Choose the method of downloading i.e. through Registration ID or Roll Number or Name.
- Enter the Registration ID or Roll Number followed by the Date of Birth
- Enter the Captcha and click on ‘submit’,
- Print the displayed IES Admit Card
Details on IES Admit Card 2018
UPSC IES admit card carries important information about the candidate and the exam he is appearing for. One must remember to verify all the particulars and ensure that everything mentioned is accurate.
IES 2018 admit card will contain the following specifics:
- Personal details of the candidate (Name, father’s name, DOB, address etc)
- Date and time of the examination
- Venue and total address
- Photograph of the candidate
- Signature of the candidate
- Registration number
- Roll number
- Email ID
- General instructions to be kept in mind while attempting the examination
Documents to carry with IES Admit Card
Candidates while appearing for IES should carry any one of the following documents as their photo identity proof to IES Exam Center:
- PAN Card
- Voter ID
- Aadhaar UID
- Driving License
Discrepancy in IES Admit Card 2018
- Post downloading IES Admit Card, candidates are advised to check all the mentioned details and verify them properly.
- In case there is some discrepancy in the given information or if the admit card has not been displayed on the official website till one week prior to the exam, candidate must immediately contact UPSC in this regard.
- In case of non-receipt of IES Admit Card, candidate can contact the Facilitation Counter located in the UPSC Office either in person or by phone.
- In case of discrepancy or errors in IES Admit Card, the candidate must get in touch with the appropriate authority, requesting to issue a new one. The request must contain the following particulars:
- Name and year of the examination
- Registration ID (RID)
- Roll Number (if received)
- Name of candidate (in full and in block letters)
- Postal Address as given in the application
- Failure to mention any of these details will result in ignorance/non-consideration of the candidate’s request. Hence, applicants must be vigilant about this issue.
- The authorities can be reached at the following address:
- UNION PUBLIC SERVICE Commission
- Shahjahan Road, New Delhi – 110069
- Facilitation Counter(Ph. No): 011-23098543 / 23385271 / 23381125 / 23098591
- E-mail: email@example.com
ESE Exam Centre 2018
- UPSC decides the final exam centers for IES.
- Currently, there are 42 centers where the engineering exam will be conducted.
- While filling in IES Application Form, candidates are required to choose two exam centers as per their preference.
- The conducting body reserves the right to allot an exam center as per the availability of the same.
IES – Civil Engineering Syallbus
UPSC ESE/IES CIVIL ENGINEERING SYLLABUS PAPER I 2017
1 ) Building Materials
- Timber : Different types and species of structural timber, density‐moisture relationship, strength in different directions, defects, influence of defects on permissible stress, preservation, dry and wet rots, codal provisions for designs. Plywood. Bricks : Types, Indian Standards classification, absorption, saturation factor, strength in masonry, influence of mortar strength on masonry strength.
- Cement : Compounds of, different types, setting times strength.
- Cement Mortar : Ingredients, proportions, water demand, mortars for plastering and masonry.
- Concrete : Importance of W/C Ratio, strength ingredients including admixtures, workability, testing for strength elasticity, non‐ destructive testing, mix design methods.
2) Soild Mechanics
- Elastic constants, stress, plane stress, Mohr’s circle of stress, strains, plane strain, Mohr’s circle of strain combined stress; Elastic theories of failure; Simple bending, shear; Torsion of circular and rectangular sections and simple members.
3 ) Structural Analysis
- Analysis of determinate structures—different methods including graphical methods.
- Analysis of indeterminate skeletal frames moment distribution, slope‐deflection, stiffness and force methods, energy methods. Muller‐Breslaie principle and application.
- Plastic analysis of indeterminate beams and simple frames shape factors.
4) Design of Steel Structures:
- Principles of Working Stress methods, Design of tension and compression members, Design of beams and beam column connections, built-up sections, Girders, Industrial roofs, Principles of Ultimate load design.
6) Design of Concrete and Masonry structures:
- Limit state design for bending, shear, axial compression and combined forces; Design of beams, Slabs, Lintels, Foundations, Retaining walls, Tanks, Staircases; Principles of pre-stressed concrete design including materials and methods; Earthquake resistant design of structures; Design of Masonry Structure.
7) Construction Practice, Planning and Management:
- Construction – Planning, Equipment, Site investigation and Management including Estimation with latest project management tools and network analysis for different Types of works; Analysis of Rates of various types of works; Tendering Process and Contract Management, Quality Control, Productivity, Operation Cost; Land acquisition; Labour safety and welfare.
UPSC ESE/IES CIVIL ENGINEERING SYLLABUS PAPER – II 2017
8 ) Flow of Fluids, Hydraulic Machines and Hydro Power:
- Fluid Mechanics, Open Channel Flow, Pipe Flow:
- Fluid properties; Dimensional Analysis and Modeling; Fluid dynamics including flow kinematics and measurements; Flow net; Viscosity, Boundary layer and control, Drag, Lift, Principles in open channel flow, Flow controls. Hydraulic jump; Surges; Pipe networks.
- Hydraulic Machines and Hydro power
- Various pumps, Air vessels, Hydraulic turbines – types, classifications & performance parameters; Power house – classification and layout, storage, pondage, control of supply.
9) Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering:
- Hydrological cycle, Ground water hydrology, Well hydrology and related data analysis; Streams and their gauging; River morphology; Flood, drought and their management; Capacity of Reservoirs.
- Water Resources Engineering : Multipurpose uses of Water, River basins and their potential; Irrigation systems, water demand assessment; Resources – storages and their yields; Water logging, canal and drainage design, Gravity dams, falls, weirs, Energy dissipaters, barrage Distribution works, Cross drainage works and head-works and their design; Concepts in canal design, construction & maintenance; River training, measurement and analysis of rainfall.
- Water Supply Engineering:
- Sources, Estimation, quality standards and testing of water and their treatment; Rural, Institutional and industrial water supply; Physical, chemical and biological characteristics and sources of water, Pollutants in water and its effects, Estimation of water demand; Drinking water Standards, Water Treatment Plants, Water distribution networks.
- Planning & design of domestic waste water, sewage collection and disposal; Plumbing Systems. Components and layout of sewerage system; Planning & design of Domestic Waste-water disposal system; Sludge management including treatment, disposal and re-use of treated effluents; Industrial waste waters and Effluent Treatment Plants including institutional and industrial sewage management.
- Sources & classification of solid wastes along with planning & design of its management system; Disposal system, Beneficial aspects of wastes and Utilization by Civil Engineers.
- Air, Noise pollution and Ecology:
- Concepts & general methodology.
11 ) Geo-technical Engineering and Foundation Engineering :
- Geo-technical Engineering :
- Soil exploration
- planning & methods, Properties of soil, classification, various tests and inter-relationships; Permeability & Seepage, Compressibility, consolidation and Shearing resistance, Earth pressure theories and stress distribution in soil; Properties and uses of geo-synthetics.
- Foundation Engineering: Types of foundations & selection criteria, bearing capacity, settlement analysis, design and testing of shallow & deep foundations; Slope stability analysis, Earthen embankments, Dams and Earth retaining structures: types, analysis and design, Principles of ground modifications.
12 ) Surveying and Geology:
- Classification of surveys, various methodologies, instruments & analysis of measurement of distances, elevation and directions; Field astronomy, Global Positioning System; Map preparation; Photogrammetry; Remote sensing concepts; Survey Layout for culverts, canals, bridges, road/railway alignment and buildings, Setting out of Curves.
- Geology : Basic knowledge of Engineering geology & its application in projects.
13 ) Transportation Engineering:
- Highways – Planning & construction methodology, Alignment and geometric design; Traffic Surveys and Controls; Principles of Flexible and Rigid pavements design.
- Tunneling – Alignment, methods of construction, disposal of muck, drainage, lighting and ventilation.
- Railways Systems : Terminology, Planning, designs and maintenance practices; track modernization.
- Terminology, layouts and planning.
- Airports – Layout, planning & design.
Must Read : UPSC IES Syllabus for General Studies/ Engg. Aptitude 2018