Current Affairs 1 November, 2018
1. Senior IPS officer S S Deswal appointed ITBP chief
- Senior IPS officer S S Deswal (IPS officer -1984 batch -Haryana cadre) has been appointed the chief of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) till 31st August, 2021.
- He has been appointed in place of R K Pachnanda.
- Shri Deswal will hold the additional charge of the post of DG, Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) till further orders.
- The Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) is one of the five Central Armed Police Forces of India, raised on 24 October 1962 in the wake of the Sino-Indian War of 1962.
- Its primary task of guarding the 3,488-km India-China border, where ITBP troops are deployed at freezing heights of up to 18,700 feet.
2. Anupam Kher resigns as FTII Chairman
- Actor Anupam Kher has resigned as the chairman of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) citing commitments to an international TV show in the U.S.
- Due to those commitments, Mr. Kher has informed the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting that he will not be present in the country for nearly nine months between 2018-19.
- Anupam Kher was appointed as the FTII chairman on 11th October 2017 (replaced Gajendra Chauhan).
- The Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) is an autonomous institute under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting of the Government of India.
- It is situated on the premises of the erstwhile Prabhat Film Company in Pune.
- FTII is a member of the International Liaison Centre of Schools of Cinema and Television (CILECT), an organisation of the world’s leading schools of film and television.
3. African American playwright Ntozake Shange passes away
- Playwright, poet and author Ntozake Shange (70-years) passed away at an assisted living centre in Maryland.
- Ntozake Shange’s most acclaimed theatre piece is the 1975 Tony Award-nominated play “For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow is Enuf,”.
- “For Colored Girls” describes the racism, sexism, violence and rape experienced by seven black women.
- She taught at multiple colleges including Brown University and DePaul University.
4. Japan joins International Solar Alliance
- Japan has announced to join the groupInternational Solar Alliance (ISA).
- Japan will be the 71st country to sign and 48th country to ratify the International Solar Alliance (ISA) Framework.
- The primary objective of the alliance is to work for efficient exploitation of solar energy to reduce dependence on fossil fuels.
- The International Solar Alliance (ISA) is an alliance of more than 121 countries initiated by India, most of them being sunshine countries.
5. Qatar sets up a support fund for migrant workers
- Qatar has set up a support fund for foreign workers who run into difficulties for not being paid.
- The fund would support and care for workers, secure their rights and provide a healthy and safe work environment for them.
- The changes are part of a three-year agreement signed by Qatar last November with the UN’s International Labour Organization to oversee reform.
6. J&K State Administrative Council approves the J&K Municipal Laws (Amendment) bill, 2018
- The State Administrative Council (SAC) of Jammu and Kashmir under the chairmanship of Governor, Satya Pal Malik has approved “The Jammu and Kashmir Municipal Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2018”.
- SAC has also approved honorarium for Sarpanchs and Panchs to be elected in the ensuing Panchayat elections.
- The SAC hoped that the provision would infuse enthusiasm among the elected Panchayat members- the election for which is being held in nine phases (starting from Nov 17, 2018).
- The SAC decided that the Sarpanchs will be paid monthly honorarium of Rs 2500 and Panchs Rs 1000.
7. Madhya Pradesh celebrates its 63rd Foundation Day today
- Today, Madhya Pradesh is celebrating its 63rd Foundation Day in all the districts of the state with traditional pride and grandeur.
- Madhya Pradesh was founded on November 1, 1956, and now is the second largest Indian state in size with an area of 3 Lakh 8 thousand sq. km.
- Madhya Governor Smt. Anandiben Patel congratulated the people of the state on the foundation day.
- This year, the theme for the celebrations is the heritage of MP and all performances will revolve around folk and classical performances
8. J&K: Governor Satya Pal Malik flags off SAUBHAGYA RATH from Raj Bhawan Jammu
- Governor Mr Satya Pal Malik flagged off ‘SAUBHAGYA RATH’ comprising 20 vehicles each for one District of Kashmir and Jammu divisions from Raj Bhawan, Jammu.
- The SAUBHAGYA RATH under ‘Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana’ – SAUBHAGYA shall move in each district for one month, to rule out the possibility of any household remaining un-electrified.
- A total of 2,26,367 households (Out of 3,57,405) were already proposed under the ongoing Deen Dayal Upadhaya Gram Jyoti Yojana -(DDUGJY)’ and other allied schemes.
- SAUBHAGYA scheme launched by Prime Minister one year ago, its prime objective of providing 100 percent electrification to all households, in rural as well as urban areas.
9. GST collections in October this year cross the one lakh crore rupees mark
- According to Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, GST collections in October 2018 have crossed the one lakh crore rupees mark.
- In September, the revenue from goods and services tax was 94,000 crore rupees.
- Goods and Service Tax (GST) is an indirect tax levied on the supply of goods and services.
- Goods & Services Tax Law in India is a comprehensive, multi-stage, destination-based tax that is levied on every value addition.
- The Goods and Service Tax Act came into effect on 1st July 2017.
10. India jumps 23 places to 77th in ease of doing the business ranking
- India has jumped 23 places (now 77th rank) in ease of doing business ranking (last year-100th place).
- Now, India is recognised as among top ten improvers for the 2nd consecutive year.
- The biggest gain was in construction permit where India climbed 129 ranks to 52nd place on the back of targeted government effort to remove hurdles
- The union government is unwavering in the commitment towards economic reforms, which will ensure an environment that fosters industry, investment and opportunities.
- The ease of doing business index is an index created by Simeon Djankov at the World Bank Group.
- The academic research for the report was done jointly with professors Oliver Hart and Andrei Shleifer.
11. Pankaj Advani wins the second leg of Asian Snooker Tour in Jinan, China
- World champion (19th times) Pankaj Advani has won the second leg of the Asian Snooker Tour in Jinan, China.
- He has become the first Indian to win an Asian Snooker Tour event.
- Advani delivered a power-packed performance to outclass China’s Ju Reti 6-1 in the final.
12. Sri Lanka’s bowling coach Nuwan Zoysa suspended by ICC
- According to an ICC release, Sri Lanka’s bowling coach Nuwan Zoysa has been suspended with immediate effect by the International Cricket Council (ICC) and charged with match-fixing.
- Mr Zoysa has 14 days from tomorrow to respond to the charges.
- Zoysa has been charged with articles which relate to match-fixing and encouraging players to influence results.