Current Affairs 2-3, November ,2018
- 1 Current Affairs 2-3, November ,2018
- 1.1 1. Atul Goel takes charge as MD, CEO of UCO Bank
- 1.2 2. Bank of Maharashtra to reinstate CEO, ED
- 1.3 3. Kirloskar Capital gets RBI nod for NBFC biz
- 1.4 4. Doha to host World Corporate Games
- 1.5 5. India and Japan sign a loan agreement worth Rs. 1817 crore
- 1.6 6. India Pavilion inaugurated at Videocittà 2018 in Rome Film Festival
- 1.7 7. Railway Ministry launched ‘UTS on Mobile’ facility
- 1.8 8. Azhar Ali announces retirement from ODIs
- 1.9 9. Jharsuguda Airport renamed as “Veer Surendra Sai Airport, Jharsuguda”
- 1.10 10. PM Modi launches Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Support and Outreach Programme
- 1.11 11. The fourth NITI Aayog- DRC Dialogue held in Mumbai
- 1.12 12. Malayalam film Olu to be the opening film at 49th IFFI
- 1.13 13. NMCG & UN-Habitat organize a policy dialogue – Urban Cafe: ‘River for Habitat’
- 1.14 14. Mary Kom named as brand ambassador of women’s world C’ship
- 1.15 15. ‘Pather Panchali’ is only Indian movie to feature in BBC’s 100-best foreign language films
- 1.16 16. Netherland to be partner country for 25th DST-CII technology Summit 2019
- 1.17 17. More than 1 crore members added to EPFO in last two years.
- 1.18 18. India-Japan military exercise Dharma Guardian-2018 begins in Mizoram
- 1.19 19. China launches the new high-orbit satellite
- 1.20 20. Decommissioned carrier INS Viraat to become a floating museum
Current Affairs 2-3, November ,2018
1. Atul Goel takes charge as MD, CEO of UCO Bank
- Atul Kumar Goel has assumed charge as Managing Director (MD) and CEO (Chief executive officer) of UCO Bank.
- Earlier, he was executive director of Union Bank of India.
- Goel takes over from R K Takkar who completed his three-year tenure on 1stNovember 2018.
- UCO Bank (formerly United Commercial Bank) established in 1943 in Kolkata.
- As of 30th March 2017, the bank had 4,000 plus service units 49 zonal offices spread all over India and two overseas branches in Singapore and Hong Kong.
- UCO Bank’s headquarters is on BTM Sarani, Kolkata.
2. Bank of Maharashtra to reinstate CEO, ED
- The board of directors of Bank of Maharashtra decided to restore/reinstate the functional responsibilities of RP Marathe, Managing Director and CEO, and RK Gupta, Executive Director, with immediate effect.
- This move is possibly an indication that these two top executives, who were taken into custody by the Pune police for the bank’s Rs 96.52-crore exposure to DSK Developers, have got a clean chit from the authorities.
- Earlier, the board, in its meeting held on June 29, had divested these two top executives of all their functional responsibilities.
3. Kirloskar Capital gets RBI nod for NBFC biz
- Kirloskar Capital has received RBI licence to start a non-banking financial company (NBFC).
- Kirloskar Capital is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Kirloskar Oil Engines (KOEL), plans to lend more than Rs 1,000 crore over the next three years.
- Earlier, the company roped in former Indo-Star Capital Finance Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Vimal Bhandari, to head its operations.
- A Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC) is registered under the Companies Act,1956 of India.
- On November 9, 2017, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) issued a notification outlining norms for outsourcing of functions/services by Non-Bank Financial Institution (NBFCs).
4. Doha to host World Corporate Games
- The World Corporate Games 2019 will be held for the first time in the Middle East in Doha, organisers of the Games announced.
- The 23rd edition is held under the patronage of Prime Minister and Interior Minister H E Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani and will bring together the local, regional and international business sporting community.
- It will be the first time that the World Corporate Games, established nearly 30 years ago, incorporate eSports and mind sports.
5. India and Japan sign a loan agreement worth Rs. 1817 crore
- India and Japan have signed a loan agreement worth of approximately 1817 crores for the construction of Turga Pumped Storage (I).
- The objective of the Project is to strengthen the capability to respond to a fluctuation in supply and demand of power and to improve the stability of the power supply.
- In the last few years, the economic cooperation between India and Japan has steadily progressed.
- This further consolidates and strengthens the Strategic and Global Partnership between India and Japan.
- Turga Pumped Storage Project on Turga Nala is a closed loop type (1,000 MW) Pumped Storage Project located in Purulia district of West Bengal.
6. India Pavilion inaugurated at Videocittà 2018 in Rome Film Festival
- India Pavilion inaugurated at Videocittà 2018 in Rome Film Festival.
- India Pavilion at Videocitta 2018 showcased Indian films’ heritage, ease of film shooting in India, promoted film shooting locations in India.
- It is an event focussing on Virtual Reality, Video gaming, Animation, Film Making, etc. was organized along with Rome Film Festival and Mercato Internazionale dell’ Audiovisivo (MIA) (the International Audio-Visual Market).
- India’s participation at Videocitta 2018, Rome was organized by Ministry of Information & Broadcasting and coordinated on Ministry’s behalf by FICCI.
7. Railway Ministry launched ‘UTS on Mobile’ facility
- The Ministry of Railways has launched the ‘Unreserved Mobile Ticketing’ facility (UTS on Mobile) to enable seamless booking of unreserved tickets in all Zonal Railways.
- Now, the booking of unreserved tickets on all non-suburban sections across all Zonal Railways will now be made available on mobile.
This move aims to promote 3 C’:
- Cashless transactions
- Contactless ticketing (no need to physically visit the point of sale)
- Customer convenience and experience
- The facility of booking unreserved tickets, including season tickets and also platform tickets is available through the ‘UTSONMOBILE’ app, available for Android, IOS and Windows phone users.
8. Azhar Ali announces retirement from ODIs
- Former Pakistan captain Azhar Ali (33-years) has announced his retirement from ODI cricket in order to prolong his Test career.
- Azhar has been one of Pakistan’s most prolific run-scorers in Test cricket as he scored a triple century and a double hundred in Tests in the UAE and Australia in 2016 & 2017.
- In January 2018, he played his last ODIs against New Zealand.
9. Jharsuguda Airport renamed as “Veer Surendra Sai Airport, Jharsuguda”
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved renaming of Jharsuguda Airport (in Odisha) as “Veer Surendra Sai Airport, Jharsuguda”.
- Veer Surendra Sai was an Indian freedom fighter and tribal leader who sacrificed his life fighting against the British East India Company.
- It will fulfil the long-pending demand of the Odisha Government, which reflects the sentiments of the local public of the respective area.
- Sai was born on 23rd January 1809 in a Khinda village near Lapanga on the way to Jharsuguda about 40 km to the north of Sambalpur, Odisha.
10. PM Modi launches Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Support and Outreach Programme
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises(MSME) Support and Outreach Programme in New Delhi.
- The MSME Outreach Programme will run for 100 days covering 100 Districts throughout the country.
- The Union Ministers are likely to visit these districts to appraise the entrepreneurs about various facilities being extended to MSME sector by the Government and financial institutions.
- It will help in further boosting the MSME to the overall growth of the country’s economy.
11. The fourth NITI Aayog- DRC Dialogue held in Mumbai
- The Fourth Dialogue of the NITI Aayog – Development Research Centre (DRC) of the State Council, Peoples’ Republic of China was held in Mumbai.
- The Chinese delegation was led by Mr. Li Wei (President of DRC) and the Indian delegation was led by Dr Rajiv Kumar (Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog).
- The DRC-NITI Dialogue provides an important platform for both sides to discuss key macroeconomic issues impacting both countries and areas of mutual interest.
12. Malayalam film Olu to be the opening film at 49th IFFI
- According to Jury for the Indian Panorama, Malayalam film Olu will be the opening film at the 49th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) -2018 in Goa.
- The Feature Film Jury of thirteen members was headed by acclaimed film director and screenwriter, Rahul Rawail.
- July also selected the Marathi film Kharvas directed by Aditya Suhas Jambhale as the Opening non-feature film.
13. NMCG & UN-Habitat organize a policy dialogue – Urban Cafe: ‘River for Habitat’
- The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) partnered with UN-Habitat to organize a policy dialogue- ‘Urban Cafe: River for Habitat’ in New Delhi.
- Experts in the sector got together to discuss the deep association that rivers have with various aspects of human civilization.
14. Mary Kom named as brand ambassador of women’s world C’ship
- Olympic medallists Mary Kom has been named as the brand ambassador of the upcoming 10th edition of the International Boxing Association (AIBA) Women World Championship.
- The Boxing Federation of India (BFI) also unveiled the logo and anthem at the launch of the 2018 AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships, to be held at the IG Stadium in New Delhi (from November 15-24)
15. ‘Pather Panchali’ is only Indian movie to feature in BBC’s 100-best foreign language films
- Satyajit Ray’s epic masterpiece ‘Pather Panchali’ has been included by BBC’s 100 best foreign language films (only film from India) to feature in the list.
- Pather Panchali released in 1955, was placed at number 15 in the list, which has been topped by Akira Kurosawa’s ‘Seven Samurai’.
- 27 of the highest-rated films were in French, followed by 12 in Mandarin, and 11 each in Italian and Japanese.
16. Netherland to be partner country for 25th DST-CII technology Summit 2019
- According to Union Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Netherlands will be the Partner Country of 25th DST – CII Technology Summit to be organized in 2019.
- There is a great scope to explore a closer partnership between the two countries to leverage emerging digital technologies.
- India and the Netherlands are addressing unmet needs and opening new collaborative avenues together in areas such as water, health, agriculture, high tech systems and IT.
17. More than 1 crore members added to EPFO in last two years.
- According to the Union Labour Minister Santosh Kumar Gangwar, more than 1 crore members have been added to Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation in the last two years.
- It is the constant endeavour of the government to bring more workers in the unorganised sector under the fold of the EPFO.
- Around 40 crore people are working in the unorganised sector and our government is more concerned about them.
18. India-Japan military exercise Dharma Guardian-2018 begins in Mizoram
- First-ever two-week-long India-Japan military exercise ‘Dharma Guardian-2018’ has begun at a jungle warfare school in Mizoram’s Vairengte.
- The Japanese contingent is represented by 32nd Infantry Battalion, while the Indian side by 6/1 Gorkha Rifles.
- It will be to enhance tactical skills against global terrorism and increase interoperability between the two forces.
19. China launches the new high-orbit satellite
- China successfully launched a high orbit satellite to boost its home-grown BeiDou global satellite navigation system being built to rival United States Global Position System (GPS).
- The satellite was launched from the Xichang Satellite Launch Centre in the southwestern Sichuan Province.
- It is the first BeiDou-3 satellite in high orbit (36,000 km) above the Earth, meant to serve countries in the China-proposed Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
- It will be the fourth global satellite navigation system after the US GPS system, Russia’s GLONASS and the European Union’s Galileo.
20. Decommissioned carrier INS Viraat to become a floating museum
- The Maharashtra Cabinet has approved the conversion of decommissioned carrier INS Viraat into a floating museum.
- It will make the new generation familiar with the glorious history of INS Viraat.
- The carrier will be housed on a concrete foundation near Nivati Rocks in Sindhudurg in Konkan region of the state.
- The project worth 852 crore rupees will be implemented through public-private-partnership (PPP).
- This will enable the tourists to see the diverse aquatic life and experience sky-diving, sailing and other thrilling sporting activities.
- INS Viraat holds a place of pride in Indian defence history, was decommissioned in March 2017 and since then has been laid up at the Naval Dockyard.