CURRENT AFFAIRS 29-30, OCT 2018
1. Jair Bolsonaro wins Brazil’s Presidential elections
- Far-right candidate Jair Bolsonaro (68-year-old) has won the presidency of Latin America’s largest nation Brazil.
- Mr. Bolsonaro bagged around 55% votes against 45% for Fernando Haddad from the left-wing Workers Party.
- His campaign slogan was “Brazil above everything, God above everyone”.
- Mr. Bolsonaro is scheduled to take office on 1st January 2019.
- The President of Brazil is both the head of state and the head of government of the Federative Republic of Brazil.
- The presidential system was established in 1889.
2. Michael D Higgins re-elected as Irish president for the second term
- Michael D Higgins has been re-elected as Irish president after receiving 56% of the country’s electoral vote.
- Peter Casey came second with 23.1%, while none of the other four candidates polled more than 10%.
3. Vigilance Awareness Week being observed to achieve corruption free society
- The Vigilance Awareness Week is being observed across the country from today to promote probity in public life and achieve a corruption-free society.
- The theme of the week this year is, ‘Eradicate Corruption – Build A New India’.
- The observance of the week will commence with pledge taking by public servants in the Ministries, Departments, PSUs, Banks and all other Organisations.
- The week ( in which 31st October) the birthday of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel falls, is observed as Vigilance Awareness Week every year.
4. Scientists develop a web-based tool to monitor fake news on Facebook, Twitter
- Scientists have developed a web-based tool to help monitor the prevalence of fake news on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.
- They Developed by researchers at the University of Michigan in the US.
- The tool uses a Platform Health Metric called the Iffy Quotient, which draws data from two external entities (NewsWhip and Media Bias/Fact Checker).
- NewsWhip, a social media engagement tracking firm, collects URLs on hundreds of thousands of sites every day and then gathers information on which of those sites have engagements on Facebook and Twitter.
- Iffy Quotient queries NewsWhip for the top 5,000 most popular URLs on the two social media platforms.
- Then the tool checks to see if those domain names have been flagged by Media Bias/Fact Check, an independent site that classifies various sources based on their reliability and bias.
5. India and UK collaborate on research on Ganga delta region and the Bay of Bengal
- India and the United Kingdom (UK) will collaborate on research on different aspects of the Ganga delta region and the Bay of Bengal.
- The Bay of Bengal is also critical to India in terms of resources and also has an impact on the Southwest Monsoon, the lifeline of the country.
- According to the British High Commissioner to India Dominic Asquith, the partnership through the UKRI has generated innovative scientific and technological solutions that will “transform both our societies and economies”.
6. First regional review meeting for “Sustainable Sanitation” held in Nagpur
- The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Government of India, in coordination with the Water Supply and Sanitation Department, Government of Maharashtra was held in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
- The review meeting was chaired by Mr. ParameswaranIyer, Secretary, Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
- It was the first in a series of regional review meetings on Sustainable Sanitation.
7. 28th October: International Animation Day
- International Animation Day is celebrated on 28th October to recognize, celebrates the artists, technicians and scientists behind the art of animation in all its forms and avatars.
- The IAD commemorating the day in 1892 when Charles-Emile Reynaud’s Theatre Optique made its first public appearance in Paris.
- The day recognizes and celebrates the artists, technicians, and scientists behind the art of animation in all its forms and avatars.
8. SBI & Hitachi to set up card acceptance, digital payment platform
- The State Bank of India (SBI) and Hitachi Payment Services Pvt Ltd have signed a definitive agreement to enter into a joint venture for the establishment of the latest card acceptance and future-ready digital payment platform for India.
- Now, India’s largest bank will have a majority stake in the proposed joint venture.
- Hitachi Payment Services Pvt Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi Ltd, Japan.
9. Indonesian passenger plane crashes into the sea with 188 people on board
- An Indonesian plane carrying 188 passengers and crew crashed into the java sea.
- The jet vanished from radar just 13 minutes after taking off from the capital Jakarta, plunging into the ocean.
- The plane lost contact with air traffic control around 6.30 am, en route to Pangkal Pinang on the island of Bangka.
10. Former Delhi CM Madan Lal Khurana passes away
- Former Delhi chief minister & BJP leader Madan Lal Khurana (82-years) passed away after a prolonged illness.
- Khurana was the chief minister of Delhi from 1993 to 1996 and was appointed the governor of Rajasthan (in 2004).
11. Indian Golfer Khalin Joshi Clinches Panasonic Open India Title
- Indian golfer Khalin Joshi has won the Panasonic Open India title at the Delhi Golf Club.
- Now, Joshi became the seventh Indian to win the Panasonic Open India title in the last eight editions of the tournament.
- Siddikur Rahman (Bangladesh) finished second best after finishing with a par on the 18th.
12. Roger Federer wins Swiss Indoors in Basel
- Swiss tennis star Roger Federer has won his ninth Swiss Indoors crown after beating Romanian qualifier Marius Copil (7-6(5) 6-4) in the final at Basel.
- Now, Federer is just 10 titles short of the all-time record holder Jimmy Connors (leads with 19).
13. Kenyan distance runner Abraham Kiptum wins Valencia race
- Kenyan distance runner Abraham Kiptum (29-year) has won the Valencia race setting a new world best time of 58mins 18sec for the half-marathon.
- The previous best time was set eight years ago by Ethiopia’s Zersenay Tadesse who ran the Lisbon half-marathon in 58 minuted and 23 seconds in March 2010.
14. India & Pakistan declared joint winners of the Asian Champions Trophy in Oman
- India and Pakistan were declared joint winners of the Asian Champions Trophy Men’s Hockey at Muscat in Oman after rain washes off summit clash.
- As the turf was completely waterlogged, it was decided that the honors will be shared.
- Before this edition, both India and Pakistan had won the tournament twice each.
- The Asian Hockey Champions Trophy is an event held annually by the Asian Hockey Federation (since 2011).
- It features the Asian Games top six field hockey teams competing in a round robin format.