Current Affairs 31 Oct , 2018
- 1 Current Affairs 31 Oct , 2018
- 1.1 1. Justice Naresh Harishchandra Patil sworn-in as Chief Justice of Bombay High Court
- 1.2 2. Paraguayan Clara Sosa wins Miss Grand International 2018 in Myanmar
- 1.3 3. Senior composer & lyricist Yashwant Dev passes away in Mumbai
- 1.4 4. Nitin Gadkari lays the foundation for India’s largest Dry Dock
- 1.5 5. Italian PM Giuseppe Conte arrives in New Delhi today
- 1.6 6. India, Qatar decide to establish a joint commission to strengthen relations
- 1.7 7. 5th National Summit on Public health care begins in Assam
- 1.8 8. SC bans 15-year-old petrol & 10-year-old diesel vehicles in NCR
- 1.9 9. Gujarat’s first mega food park inaugurated in Surat
- 1.10 10. RBI to inject Rs 40,000 Crore in November Via OMO
- 1.11 11. Angela Merkel to step down as German chancellor in 2021
- 1.12 12. 100,000 people around the world are missing which created global crisis: ICRC
- 1.13 13. Ayhika Mukherjee wins the silver medal at under-21 Belgium Open
Current Affairs 31 Oct , 2018
1. Justice Naresh Harishchandra Patil sworn-in as Chief Justice of Bombay High Court
- Justice Naresh Harishchandra ‘Patil’ sworn-in as the Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court.
- He was administered the oath of office by Maharashtra Governor C. Vidyasagar Rao in a ceremony held at Raj Bhawan, Mumbai.
- Bombay High Court is one of the oldest High Court of India located in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Its jurisdiction covers the states of Maharashtra, Goa and Union Territories of Daman and Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
- The building is part of The Victorian and Art Deco Ensemble of Mumbai, which was added to the list of World Heritage Sites in 2018.
2. Paraguayan Clara Sosa wins Miss Grand International 2018 in Myanmar
- Clara Sosa (Miss Paraguay) has won the Miss Grand International 2018 title (6thedition) of the beauty pageant in Yangon,Myanmar.
- Clara Sosa succeeds Miss Grand International 2017 Maria Jose Lora of Peru.
- FBB Colors Femina Miss Grand India 2018 Meenakshi Chaudhary was named 1st runner-up.
3. Senior composer & lyricist Yashwant Dev passes away in Mumbai
- Senior composer and lyricist Yashwant Dev(92-year) passed away in Mumbai.
- He had composed and written many popular Marathi songs.
- He was honoured with many awards including Gan-samradni Lata Mangeshkar Award and Gadima puraskar.
4. Nitin Gadkari lays the foundation for India’s largest Dry Dock
- The Union Minister Nitin Gadkari has laid the foundation for India’s largest Dry Dock at Cochin Shipyard in Kerala.
- The Dry Dock will give an impetus to Make in India initiative under Sagarmala and raise India’s share in global shipbuilding to two per cent.
- Currently, Cochin Shipyard has two dry docks, one predominantly used for shipbuilding of size 255m x 43 x 9m and capacity 1,10,000 DWT and the other one for ship repair of size 270 x 45 x 12m and capacity 1,25,000 DWT.
- Currently, India occupies 0.66 % share in the global shipbuilding market.
- The Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) is the largest shipbuilding and maintenance facilityin India.
- It is part of a line of maritime-related facilities in the port city of Kochi, in the state of Kerala, India.
5. Italian PM Giuseppe Conte arrives in New Delhi today
- Today, Prime Minister of Italy Giuseppe Conte arrived in New Delhi on a day-long official visit to India.
- During the visit, he will hold bilateral talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Both leaders will also attend the India-Italy Technology Summit which (organised by the Department of Science and Technology) in partnership with the Confederation of Indian Industry.
- Over 600 Italian companies are active in India covering various sectors such as fashion, garments, textile and textile machinery, automotive, automotive components industry, infrastructure, energy, and insurance.
6. India, Qatar decide to establish a joint commission to strengthen relations
- India and Qatar decided to establish a joint commission to strengthen their relations in various fields with a view to furthering the common interest of the people of the two countries.
- The joint declaration signed by Sushma Swaraj (External Affairs Minister of India) and Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani (Foreign Minister of Qatar) in Doha, highlights the decision to set up the joint commission.
- The objective of the joint commission is to focus on various areas including economic, commercial, cultural, scientific, technological, Information Technology and educational fields.
7. 5th National Summit on Public health care begins in Assam
- Sarbanand Sonowal (Assam Chief Minister) and J P Nadda(Union Health Minister) jointly inaugurated the three-day 5th National Summit on Good and Replicable Practices and Innovations in Public Health Care Systems at Kaziranga in Assam.
- The main objective of the Summit is to share and learn the good practices and innovations being implemented by several states and organizations for the betterment of the health sector.
8. SC bans 15-year-old petrol & 10-year-old diesel vehicles in NCR
- The Supreme Court (SC) has banned petrol(15-year-old) & diesel (10-year-old) vehicles in Delhi-NCR (National Capital Region) to curb pollution.
- The Supreme Court made it clear that such vehicles would be impounded if found on roads in Delhi-NCR.
- The apex court directed that a list of 15-year-old petrol and 10-year-old diesel vehicles be published on the website of the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) and transport departments of the NCR area.
9. Gujarat’s first mega food park inaugurated in Surat
- The Union Minister for Food Processing Industries Smt Harsimrat Kaur Badal has inaugurated the first Mega Food Park at Village Shah and Vasravi at Surat District, Gujarat.
- This Mega Food Park has been set up in 70.15 acres of land at a cost of Rs. 117.87 crore.
- The modern infrastructure for food processing created at Park will benefit the farmers, growers, processors and consumers of Gujarat.
- Under the Scheme, Government of India provides financial assistance upto Rs. 50.00 Crore per Mega Food Park project.
10. RBI to inject Rs 40,000 Crore in November Via OMO
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced to inject Rs 40,000 crore into the system in November through the purchase of government securities as it looks to meet festive season demand for funds.
- The central bank had already injected Rs 36,000 crore into the system in October through open market operation (OMO).
- Open market operations (OMO) refer to the buying and selling of government securitiesin the open market in order to expand or contract the amount of money in the banking system.
- Securities’ purchases inject money into the banking system and stimulate growth, while sales of securities do the opposite and contract the economy.
11. Angela Merkel to step down as German chancellor in 2021
- According to Germany’s chancellor (since 2000) Angela Merkel, she will step down as chancellor in 2021, following recent election setbacks.
- She is the first female chancellor.
- She would not seek re-election as leader of the centre-right CDU party in December.
- Angela Merkel, who is serving her fourth term in office and is widely regarded as one of the most powerful people in the world.
- The Chancellor of Germany is the political leader of Germany and the head of the Federal Government.
- The office holder is responsible for selecting all other members of the government and chairing Cabinet meetings.
12. 100,000 people around the world are missing which created global crisis: ICRC
- According to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), over 100,000 people around the world are missing, which has created a global crisis.
- ICRC told the UN General Assembly’s human rights committee that this is the highest number they have ever had.
- This is the tip of the iceberg and that it represents only a fraction of those estimated to be missing because of past and ongoing conflicts.
- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)works with the families ofmissing persons and authorities in over 40 countries affected by past and current conflicts.
13. Ayhika Mukherjee wins the silver medal at under-21 Belgium Open
- Indian table tennis player Ayhika Mukherjeehas won a silver medal in the under-21 women’s singles category of the ITTF Challenge Belgium Open.
- She lost to Korea’s Youjin Kim in the final. In the semifinals, Ayhika had defeated Hong Kong’s Chengzhu Zhu to enter the finals.