INSIGHT CURRENT AFFAIRS FOR UPSC ESE : 19 November ,2018
- 1 INSIGHT CURRENT AFFAIRS FOR UPSC ESE : 19 November ,2018
- 1.0.1 1. Justice Amareshwar Pratap Sahi sworn in as Chief Justice of Patna High Court
- 1.0.2 2. Saroj Suman Gulati conferred with Global Education Leaders Award 2018
- 1.0.3 3. Journalist N Ram received Raja Ram Mohan Roy award
- 1.0.4 4. 6th Indian Social Work Congress (ISWC) held in New Delhi
- 1.0.5 5. India’s first elephant hospital opens in Mathura
- 1.0.6 6. Kerala Government launched Gau Samridhi scheme for dairy farmers
- 1.0.7 7. Aadi Mahotsav festival begins in Delhi
- 1.0.8 8. India and UK sign MoU for collaboration in cancer research
- 1.0.9 9. 105-million Dollar loan signed to support hydropower transmission in Himachal
- 1.0.10 10. Union Govt. and ADB sign USD 300 Million loans to support IIFCL
- 1.0.11 11. ‘Toxic’ declared Oxford Word of the Year
- 1.0.12 12. Ad. Guru Alyque Padamsee passes away
- 1.0.13 13. Australia’s John Hastings Retires from International Cricket
- 1.0.14 14. Pankaj Advani won third IBSF billiards crown
- 1.0.15 Share this:
INSIGHT CURRENT AFFAIRS FOR UPSC ESE : 19 November ,2018
1. Justice Amareshwar Pratap Sahi sworn in as Chief Justice of Patna High Court
- Today, Justice Amareshwar Pratap Sahiwas sworn in as the new chief justice of Patna High Court.
- The oath of office was administered by Bihar governor Lalji Tandon.
- Prior to his appointment Justice Sahi was a judge of the Allahabad High Court.
- Patna High Court is the High Court of the state of Bihar, established on 3rd February 1916.
- It was and later affiliated under the Government of India Act 1915.
2. Saroj Suman Gulati conferred with Global Education Leaders Award 2018
- An educationist Dr Saroj Suman Gulati has been conferred with the coveted Global Education Leaders Award 2018 by His Highness Nahyan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan (member of the Cabinet and Minister of State for Tolerance) UAE.
- The award has been conferred on Dr Gulatiin recognition of her exemplary contribution to ‘K-12 education and promotion of Art and Culture‘.
- Gulati (Director of Blue Bells Group of Schools) was among the nine eminent education leaders from India who were awarded for their exemplary contribution in various spheres of education and social development.
3. Journalist N Ram received Raja Ram Mohan Roy award
- Eminent journalist N Ram has been selected under prestigious award category of Raja Ram Mohan Roy award.
- Ruby Sarkar (Chief Correspondent of Deshbandhu Bhopal) and Rajesh Joshte(Daily Pudhari in Ratnagiri) will share the award in the category of Rural Journalism.
- N Ram is the Chairman of the Hindu Publishing Group.
- PCI has been mandated by Parliament to improve the standards of journalism and maintain its freedom.
4. 6th Indian Social Work Congress (ISWC) held in New Delhi
- The 6th Indian Social Work Congress (ISWC) 2018 was held in New Delhi.
- The theme of 6th ISWC 2018 was “Human Development and Social Inclusion: Imperatives for Social Work Education and Practice”.
- It was jointly organized by the National Association of Professional Social Workers in India (NAPSWI) and Department of Social Work (Delhi School of Social Work), University of Delhi.
5. India’s first elephant hospital opens in Mathura
- India’s first specialized hospital for elephants was formally opened by Agra Divisional Commissioner Anil Kumar at Farah block’s Churmura village.
- Located close to the elephant conservation and care centre, the hospital is designed to treat injured, sick or geriatric elephants and is equipped with a medical hoist for lifting elephants.
6. Kerala Government launched Gau Samridhi scheme for dairy farmers
- The Chief Minister of Kerala Pinarayi Vijayan has launched the ‘Cow Samridhi Plus Scheme’ to provide insurance coverage to dairy farmers in the state.
- It will give insurance coverage to dairy farmers at low premium rates.
- Farmers belonging to the general category will be getting 50% subsidy on premiums while those belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC) and Scheduled Tribe (ST) category would get 70% subsidy on the premium.
7. Aadi Mahotsav festival begins in Delhi
- The fifteen days Aadi Mahotsav festival has begun in the national capital Delhi.
- More than 600 artisans from 23 states will participate in the event.
- The theme of the festival is ‘celebration of the spirit of tribal culture, craft, cuisine and commerce‘.
- It will feature exhibition-cum-sale of tribal handicrafts, art, paintings, fabric, jewellery and much more through one hundred stalls.
- The highlights of the festival will be a fashion show for tribal textiles and tribal cuisines.
- There are two venues for the Aadi Mahotsav, one will be at Delhi Haat and the other is Central Park in New Delhi.
8. India and UK sign MoU for collaboration in cancer research
- India and the United Kingdom (UK)have signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for collaboration in cancer research.
- The MoU was signed between Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and Cancer Research UK (CRUK) for India-UK Cancer Research Initiative for collaboration in cancer research for the next five years.
9. 105-million Dollar loan signed to support hydropower transmission in Himachal
- India and Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a 105-million Dollar loan agreement to continue financing the transmission system upgrades in Himachal Pradesh for increased supply of hydropower.
- The loan agreement was signed by Additional Secretary in the Finance Ministry Sameer Kumar Khare, Country Director of ADB’s India Resident Mission, Kenichi Yokoyama.
10. Union Govt. and ADB sign USD 300 Million loans to support IIFCL
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India have signed a USD 300 million Loan Agreement to support lending by India Infrastructure Finance Company Limited (IIFCL).
- The Project will enhance the availability of long-term finance for PPP projects, improve the operational capacity of IIFCL, and expand the portfolio of infrastructure financing instruments available to IIFCL.
- The Project supports the renewed effort of the Government of India in accelerating infrastructure growth through increased Private Sector investment.
- The Project is relevant and responsive to the constraints to bank based infrastructure financing, fiscal space creation, and repercussions on GDP growth.
- The USD 300 million ADB loan is expected to help catalyze the financial closing of USD 2.4 billion in investments.
- In addition, the attached technical assistance will support IIFCL capacity development and will focus on IIFCL’s financial management and social and environmental safeguards.
11. ‘Toxic’ declared Oxford Word of the Year
- Oxford Dictionary has declared the adjective ‘toxic‘ as the Word of the Year for what it says reflects the ethos, mood, or preoccupations in 2018. The adjective toxic is defined as ‘poisonous’.
- The Oxford Word of the Year is a word or expression that is judged to have lasting potential as a term of cultural significance.
- The word toxic was selected from a shortlist that included contenders such as ‘gaslighting,’ ‘incel’ and ‘techlash.
12. Ad. Guru Alyque Padamsee passes away
- Ad Guru Alyque Padamsee (90-years) passed away in Mumbai.
- Mr Padamsee was also best known for his role as Muhammad Ali Jinnah in historical drama “Gandhi” (in 1982).
- He was honoured with Padmashri (in 2000), named Advertising Man of the Century by The Advertising Club in Mumbai.
13. Australia’s John Hastings Retires from International Cricket
- Former Australia all-rounder John Hastings (33-years) has retired from International Cricket.
- His final international was a one-day match against New Zealand in 2017.
- Hastings played one Test, 29 ODIs and nine Twenty20 internationals for Australia before retiring from Tests and ODIs a year ago to become a T20 specialist.
14. Pankaj Advani won third IBSF billiards crown
- India’s ace cueist Pankaj Advani has won his third straight IBSF billiards crown in the 150-up format.
- Advani overcame Nay Thway Oo (Myanmar) in the final.
- He was taking his overall tally of world titles to 20.
- Earlier, He had won in his hometown Bengaluru in 2016 before doing the same in Doha last year.