- 1 Insight Current Affairs For UPSC ESE & SSC JE : 5,6 &7 September, 2019
- 2 1. Country’s first ‘Fun Zone’ for children at Visakhapatnam railway station
- 2.1 2. 6th India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue begins in New Delhi today
- 2.2 3. India among top 10 nations in gold reserves
- 2.3 4. Odisha won the IT Excellence Award, 2019 in disaster management
- 2.4 5. Microsoft & CBSE partners to build AI learning for schools
- 2.5 6. Lander Vikram of Chandrayaan-2 loses its communication minutes before a soft landing
- 2.6 7. Zimbabwe’s former President Robert Mugabe passes away
- 2.7 8. Indo-Lanka Joint Naval Exercise SLINEX 2019
- 2.8 9. India Pavilion inaugurated at 44th Toronto International Film Festival
- 2.9 10. Anupama Swain wins bronze in World Martial Arts Mastership
- 2.10 11. Standard Chartered Bank launches “DigiSmart” credit card
- 2.11 12. Uttar Pradesh Police Launches C-Plan App for Better Community Policing
- 2.12 13. Gujarat Govt, Delaware State of America sign MoU for sister-state
- 2.13 14. Mini Conclave of First Investor Summit-2019 is held in Leh
- 2.14 15. Central Government to invest Rs 25,000 crore in 5 years to revamp fishery infrastructure
- 2.15 16. Delhi to include OBC, General category students in Jai Bheem Mukhyamantri Yojana
- 2.16 17. BSNL launches Next Trillion Users Initiative
- 2.17 18. India-Russia Annual Summit 2019 held in Vladivostok, Russia
- 2.18 19. Famed writer Kiran Nagarkar passes away in Mumbai
- 2.19 20. Congress leader Sukhdev Singh Libra passes away
Insight Current Affairs For UPSC ESE & SSC JE : 5,6 &7 September, 2019
1. Country’s first ‘Fun Zone’ for children at Visakhapatnam railway station
- In a first of its kind in the Indian Railways, a paid gaming zone has been provided at Visakhapatnam railway station (platform number- 1) in Andhra Pradesh.
- The gaming zone (400sft area) is for bonafide passengers/rail users who can utilize this facility with a payment of Rs 50 per game during their visit to the railway station.
- The fun zone consists of modern gaming facilities such as virtual-real games (car racing, gun fighting etc), hit the mouse, Doraemon, Doreamanfriend, musical play, basketball and air hockey.
- It is an innovative initiative by the Waltair division of East Coast Railway (ECoR) under non-fare revenue for entertaining waiting passengers/kids.
- The project was developed under NINFRIS (New, Innovative Non-Fare Revenue Ideas Scheme) of the ministry of railways.
2. 6th India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue begins in New Delhi today
- The 6th India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue (SED) has begun in New Delhi.
- The three-day dialogue will comprise of round table meetings of joint working groups on infrastructure, energy, high-tech, resource conservation, pharmaceuticals and policy coordination.
- The Indian side will be led by Niti Aayog Vice-Chairman Dr Rajiv Kumar and the Chinese side by Chairman of National Development and Reforms Commission (NDRC).
- The SED was set up between the erstwhile Planning Commission and National Development and Reform Commission of China during the visit of Chinese Prime Minister Wen Jiabao to India in December 2010.
- It has served as an effective mechanism for enhancing bilateral practical cooperation.Source: AIR News
3. India among top 10 nations in gold reserves
- India has pipped the Netherlands to move into the list of top ten countries in terms of total gold reserves.
- According to the World Gold Council, India has gold reserves totalling 618.2 tonnes, which is marginally higher than the Netherlands’ reserves of 612.5 tonnes.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) occupies the third position after the U.S. and Germany.
- Indian ranked 9th in individual country ranking, excluding IMF, and ranked 10th including IMF.
4. Odisha won the IT Excellence Award, 2019 in disaster management
- Odisha State Disaster Management Authority (OSDMA) has won the IT Excellence Award, 2019 for its innovative conception by using information technology in the field of disaster management.
- The “SATARK” (System for Assessing, Tracking and Alerting Disaster Risk Information based on Dynamic Risk Knowledge) application has been chosen for the award.
- This app has been developed to provide real-time watch, alert and warning information for different natural disasters and hazards such as heatwave, lightning, agriculture risk, flood, tsunami, earthquake, cyclone or storm, road accident and snakebite.
5. Microsoft & CBSE partners to build AI learning for schools
- Microsoft India and the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) have partnered to build AI learning for schools.
- They will conduct capacity building programmes for high school teachers with an aim to integrate cloud-powered technology in K12 teaching.
- The programme is for teachers of grades 8-10 and will be conducted in 10 cities across the country.
- The programme will provide teachers with better access to the latest Information and Communication Technology (ICT) tools.
- It will help the teachers to integrate technology into teaching in a safe and secure manner.
- The programme will also offer teachers the opportunity to become Microsoft Innovative Educators.
6. Lander Vikram of Chandrayaan-2 loses its communication minutes before a soft landing
- The lander of the lunar craft Chandrayaan 2 has gone incommunicado just minutes before its planned soft landing near the moon’s the South Pole early this morning.
- The Vikram Lander descent was initiated as planned and normal performance was observed up to an altitude of 2.1 km.
- Subsequently, the communication from the Lander to the ground stations was lost.
- The powered descent of the lander Vikram of Chandrayaan-2 began at 1 hour 38 minutes and 3 seconds.
- It was going down smoothly, closely matching with the predicted path until it came closer to 2.1 kilometres above the lunar surface.
7. Zimbabwe’s former President Robert Mugabe passes away
- Former Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe (95-years) passes away in Singapore.
- He was hospitalised in Singapore for months for an undisclosed ailment.
- Robert Gabriel Mugabe was a Zimbabwean revolutionary and politician who served as Prime Minister of Zimbabwe (from 1980 to 1987) and then as President (from 1987 to 2017).
- Mugabe was forced to step down by the military in November 2017 following nationwide mass protests.
- The country’s first post-independent leader passed away nearly two years since he stepped down after 37 years in power.
- The week-long annual Joint Indo-Lanka maritime fleet exercise – SLINEX 2019 has been started.
- Sri Lankan Navy has sent two ships to India to participate in the exercise with the Indian Navy.
- The offshore patrol vessels, SLNS Sindurala and Suranimala left Trincomalee on are scheduled to arrive at the port of Visakhapatnam.
- The week-long exercise will be attended by 323 Sri Lankan navy personnel including the commanding flag officer of the naval fleet.
9. India Pavilion inaugurated at 44th Toronto International Film Festival
- The High Commissioner of India to Canada Vikas Swarup has inaugurated the India Pavilion at the 44th Toronto International Film Festival 2019.
- The inauguration of India Pavilion at TIFF will provide a platform to showcase Indian Cinema in the overseas market and facilitate new business opportunities.
- Indian movies have created a new benchmark in film making globally.
- Every Film Festival today acknowledges the enormous potential of India’s soft power.
- TIFF also provides the ideal platform for the global outreach of the 50th International Film Festival of India 2019.Source: AIR
10. Anupama Swain wins bronze in World Martial Arts Mastership
- Indian woman athlete Anupama Swain won a bronze medal in the recently concluded World Martial Arts Mastership Jiu-Jitsu 2019 in Chungju, South Korea.
- Now she qualified for 2022 Asian Games. she was the only Indian to participate in the championship.
- Jiu-Jitsu is a form of martial art and combat sport and it puts the entire focus on grappling with particular emphasis on ground fighting.
11. Standard Chartered Bank launches “DigiSmart” credit card
- British multinational banking & financial services company ‘Standard Chartered Bank’ has launched a DigiSmart credit card.
- The primary focus of the Bank on the ever-growing segment of millennials.
- The credit card will offer instant discounts and benefits across key e-commerce categories of travel, entertainment, fashion, groceries, and food delivery around the year.
- The new credit card is available for a nominal monthly fee of only Rs 49.
- However, this fee (49-rupees) will be waived off if the spends of the customer are Rs 5,000 or above in the previous month.
12. Uttar Pradesh Police Launches C-Plan App for Better Community Policing
- Uttar Pradesh Police has launched a mobile application named ‘C-Plan’ to keep a tab on anti-social elements prevailing across the state.
- It will verify the received information and counter these criminal activities in time.
- The department has identified 10 people in every village, known as Sambhrant-10, across the state who will inform about anti-social elements, simmering communal tensions or land disputes taking place in their respective villages through the app.
- This initiative will help the state to have better community policing and bringing down the crime rate by improving the police-public partnership with the help of technology.
13. Gujarat Govt, Delaware State of America sign MoU for sister-state
- Gujarat Government and the Delaware State of America have signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for sister state in Gandhinagar.
- MoU was signed in Gandhinagar when a delegation of Delaware State of America called on Gujarat Chief Minister Delaware’s Vijay Rupani.
- According to official sources, cooperation in the field of services and investment opportunities in GIFT IFSC have also been discussed during the meeting.
- This is the first sister-state MoU signed by Gujarat with any state of America.
- Sectors like Biotechnology University, biosciences, financial services, animal husbandry and dairy, port services have been shortlisted for future cooperation.
- The American delegation has also invited Gujarat Chief Minister to visit Delaware State.
14. Mini Conclave of First Investor Summit-2019 is held in Leh
- After the abrogation of Article 370 and 35A, the Mini Conclave of First Jammu and Kashmir Investor Summit-2019 held in Leh.
- An MoU has been signed by Jammu and Kashmir Trade Promotion Organisation and CII for organisation and management of the event.
- The meet will provide J-K with an opportunity to showcase its strengths, strategies and potential.
- Navin Choudhary (Jammu and Kashmir Industries & Commerce Principal Secretary) has announced to reduce the Premium of SIDCO Land in Ladakh in a couple of days.
- The Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh are going to be the Union Territories from 1st November onwards.
15. Central Government to invest Rs 25,000 crore in 5 years to revamp fishery infrastructure
- With the objective of achieving the real goals of the ambitious Blue Revolution project, The Union Government has lined up Rs 25,000 crore investments in different sectors of fisheries in the next three to five years.
- As inland fisheries contribute only 50 per cent of the total fish production, the Government intends to outspread its potential by covering reservoirs, wetlands, rivers and streams in different parts of the country.
- Considering the low contribution of inland water fisheries, the Government looks to increase its production to six million tonnes from three million tonnes in the next three to four years.
16. Delhi to include OBC, General category students in Jai Bheem Mukhyamantri Yojana
- The Delhi state Cabinet has decided to include other backward class (OBC) and general category students in its ‘Jai Bheem Mukhyamantri Yojana’.
- The government also enhance financial assistance from Rs. 40,000 to Rs. one lakh for coaching for various competitive exams.
- Earlier, the scheme was only for the scheduled caste category students under which financial assistance of up to Rs. 40,000 would be provided.
17. BSNL launches Next Trillion Users Initiative
- BSNL (Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited) has launched IPV6 services to bring a new era of the internet in the country.
- This service is launched from Bangalore and shall be available to all the customers across the country in next few weeks”.
- IPV6 is having the highest security levels possible which will be very helpful for deploying IoT and other applications with enhanced security features.
- Now, Customers shall be using multiple devices at home and office, all these devices shall need an exclusive addressing scheme for which IPV6 is the right way forward.
18. India-Russia Annual Summit 2019 held in Vladivostok, Russia
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on a two-day official visit to the Russian Federation to attend the 20th India – Russia Annual Summit in Vladivostok. Russia.
- Mr Modi also participated as the Chief Guest at the 5th Eastern Economic Forum.
- India also announced a line of credit worth USD 1 Billion for the development of the Far East region of Russia.
- Indian PM further launched Indo-Russian Innovation Bridge, an online platform to bridge the gap between Indian and Russian startup ecosystems and promote joint innovations.
- PM Modi has also accepted President Putin’s invitation to attend 75th anniversary of the victory of Russian federation & erstwhile the Soviet Union in World War-2, next May in Moscow.
19. Famed writer Kiran Nagarkar passes away in Mumbai
- Noted novelist, play writer Kiran Nagarkar (77-years) passed away in Mumbai.
- Nagarkar’s epic novel ‘Cuckold’ and riotously funny ‘Ravan and Eddie’ trilogy count among the most celebrated works of fiction by an Indian writer in English.
- His first novel “Saat Sakkam Techaalis’ or ‘Seven Sixes Are Forty-Three’ published in 1974 just as Indira Gandhi was turning increasingly authoritarian as prime minister.
20. Congress leader Sukhdev Singh Libra passes away
- Congress leader and former MP Sukhdev Singh Libra (87-years) passed away after a prolonged illness.
- Sukhdev Singh Libra was the member of the 14th (Fatehgarh Sahib) and 15th (Ropar) Lok Sabha and MLA in Punjab in 1985.
- He was a member of Rajya Sabha from 1998-2004.