List of Entrance Exams conducted by IITs
List of Entrance Exams conducted by IITs
- The Indian Institutes of Technology(IITs) are a group of autonomous public engineering and management institutes of India which are governed by the Institutes of Technology Act, 1961.
- The Institutes of Technology Act, 1961 lists sixteen institutes located at Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Delhi, Gandhinagar, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jodhpur, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Mandi, Mumbai, Patna, Ropar, Roorkee and Varanasi. Each IIT is an autonomous institution, linked to the others through a common IIT Council, which oversees their administration.
- The IITs have a common admission process for undergraduate admissions called the IIT-JEE, which was replaced by Joint Entrance Examination in 2013.
- The post-graduate level program that awards M.Tech degree in engineering is administered by the older IITs (Kharagpur, Bombay, Madras, Kanpur, Delhi, Roorkee, Varanasi, Guwahati) and is done on the basis of Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE).
- In addition to B.Tech and M.Tech programs IITs also award other graduate degrees such as M.Sc in Engineering, Maths, Physics and Chemistry, MBA, PhD etc.; admission to which is done through Joint Admission Test for Masters (JAM), Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED) and Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Exam (HSEE).
Let’s go through the details for each of the entrance exam conducted by the Indian Institute of Technology:
- 1 1) GATE ( Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)
- 2 2) Joint Admission Test for M.Sc (JAM)
- 3 3) CEED ( Common Entrance Examination for Design )
- 4 4) HSEE ( Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Exam )
- 5 5) Joint Management Entrance Test (JMET) – Discontinued
- 6 6) Joint Entrance Examination Advanced – JEE Advanced
1) GATE ( Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India examination conducted for various undergraduate subjects in engineering and technology at an all India level for admission to post-graduate engineering programmes (i.e. M.E., M.Tech, direct Ph.D) in Indian higher education institutes with financial assistance provided by MHRD and other Govt agencies.
- GATE is conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven IITs (IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras and IIT Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board-GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
- The GATE score of a candidate reflects a relative performance level in a particular paper in the exam across several years.
2) Joint Admission Test for M.Sc (JAM)
- JAM Exam is conducted for Admission to M.Sc (Two-Year), Joint M.Sc – PhD, M.Sc – PhD Dual Degree, M.Sc – M.Tech and other Post-Bachelor Degree Programs at Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) & IISc
- The Indian Institute of Science Bangalore (IISc) and Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) conduct the Joint Admission Test for M.Sc (JAM) for admission to Integrated Ph.D Degree Programmes at IISc Bangalore and M.Sc (Two Years), Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D, M.Sc.-Ph.D Dual Degree, M.Sc – M.Tech., M.Sc -M.S. (Research)/PhD Dual Degree and other Post-Bachelor’s Degree Programmes at IITs. Qualified students later have to appear for an interview for admission to the above mentioned programs.
3) CEED ( Common Entrance Examination for Design )
- Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED) is an qualifying examination for admission to Master of Design (M.Des) Programs at IISc Bangalore, IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Guwahati and IIT Kanpur and Ph.D Programs in Design in some Institutes, for the Academic year 2015
- The objective of CEED is to assess the candidates’ aptitude for design involving visual perception ability, drawing skills, logical reasoning, creativity and communication skills.
CEED qualified students are eligible for
- (a) Master of Design Programmes IISc Bangalore: M.Des in Product Design and Engineering
- IIT Bombay: M.Des in Industrial Design, Visual Communication, Animation, Interaction Design, Mobility and Vehicle Design
- IIT Delhi: M.Des in Industrial Design
- IIT Guwahati: M.Des in Design
- IIT Kanpur: M.Des in Industrial Design; GATE qualified candidates will also be considered for admission to these programmes
- (b) Ph.D Programmes in Design (IISc Bangalore, IIT Bombay)
- Details of these programmes may be obtained from respective websites
4) HSEE ( Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Exam )
- Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Exam (HSEE) is conducted for admission to the Five year Integrated Master of Arts (M.A) at IIT Madras.
- The programme encourages students to engage in critical thinking and research on ideas, people, society and the human condition.
- HSEE is intended to admit students to this programme in two streams; Integrated M.A. in Development Studies and Integrated M.A. in English Studies.
5) Joint Management Entrance Test (JMET) – Discontinued
- In the past (upto 2011), admission to Management Programs in Indian Institutes of Technology’s (IITs) were done through Joint Management Entrance Test conducted by IITs.
- JMET was an aptitude test conducted by each of the IITs on a rotation basis and The results of JMET were used to short-list the candidates for subsequent part of the selection process.
- However, the Joint Admission Board changed this and since last 2012, IITs are using Common Admission Test (CAT) scores, which are conducted by IIMs, for admissions to IIT Management Programs
6) Joint Entrance Examination Advanced – JEE Advanced
- The Joint Entrance Examination (JEE-Advanced) is an all-India examination administered and conducted in seven IIT zones across the country by the Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) for admission to Bachelor’s, Integrated Master’s and Dual Degree programs in the sixteen IITs (IIT Bhubaneswar, Bombay, Delhi, Gandhinagar, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jodhpur, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Chennai, Mandi, Patna, Roorkee, Ropar, Varanasi) and the Indian School of Mines (ISM) Dhanbad.
- All the candidates aspiring to take admission in the undergraduate programmes at IITs and ISM Dhanbad have to clear the Paper-1 of JEE (Main which is conducted by JEE Apex Board during the month of April.