ROAD TRANSPORT NETWORK
- India’s road network is the second largest road network of the world after United States of America.
- The total length of roads in India is around 56 lakhs kms.
- For the purpose of maintenance and construction roads are classified into the National Highways, State Highways, District Highways, Village Roads, Border Roads, etc.
- At present the total length of National Highways in India is 1,01,000kms which is only 2% of the total road network but covers 40% of the road traffic in India.
- The state of Maharashtra has the maximum length of surfaced roads (pakka roads) in India whereas the state of Odisha has the maximum length of unsurfaced roads (kaccha roads) in India.
LIST OF IMPORTANT NATIONAL HIGHWAYS
- NH1 – Amritsar-Jalandhar- Ambala- Karnaal- Panipat- Sonipat- New Delhi- 456kms
- NH2 – New Delhi – Mathura – Agra – Kanpur – Allahabad-Varanasi-Sasaram-Dhanbad-
Durgapur – Kolkata – 1490 kms (NHI + NH2 combined make the famous GT Road built by Sher Shah Suri between Kolkata and Peshawar)
- NH3- Agra- Gwalior- Shivpuri-Indore- Dhulia -Nasik- Thane – Mumbai- 1161 kms
- NH5- Bahargagora (near Kolkata)- Cuttack- Visakhapatnam- Chennai- 1533 kms
- NH6- Kolkata- Sambalpur- Raipur- Nagpur- Dhule- 1645kms
- NH7- Varanasi- Rewa- Jabalpur- Hyderabad- Madurai- Kanyakumari- 2369kms
- NH8 Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Ahmedabad-Vadodara-Mumbai-1428kms (Busiest NH of India)
- NH9- Pune- Solapur- Hyderabad- Vijayawada- 791kms
- NH10- Delhi- Rohtak- Fazilka- 403kms
- NH11- Agra- Jaipur- Bikaner- 582kms
- NH12- Jaipur- Kota- Bhopal- Jabalpur 890kms
- NH24- Delhi- Bareilly- Lucknow – 483kms
- NH28- Barauni- Gorakhpur- Lucknow – 570kms
- NH47 (A) Kundanoor- Wellington Islands- 6kms (Shortest NH of India)
- NH44 – Srinagar- Kaniyakumari-3745kms (Longest in India)
LIST OF IMPORTANT EXPRESS HIGHWAYS
Expressway Name Distance State
- Ahmedabad Vadodara /Expressway 95 km (59 mi) /Gujarat
- Mumbai-Pune /Expressway 93 km (58 mi) /Maharashtra
- Jaipur-Kishangarh /Expressway 90 km (56 mi) /Rajastan
- Delhi-Gurgaon /Expressway 28 km (17 mi) /Delhi/Haryana
- Noida-Greater Noida /Expressway 24.53 km (15.24 mi) /Delhi/Uttar Pradesh
- Yamuna /Expressway 165 km (103 mi) /Uttar Pradesh
- Lucknow- Agra /Expressway 303 km /Uttar Pradesh (Longest)